Thursday, December 8, 2016

Nursing School

In 2013 I decided a nurse was what I wanted to be. It's been a very long road...and I'm still not there yet, but the light is finally at the end of the tunnel.

1 year and 8 months left! Getting here has taken so long. It's been trying at times. It still is. I'm not the mother I want to be right now, or the wife.

Oh yeah, I got married. August 23, 2014 I married Tim. He is a corrections officer now and I work for Nationwide Children's Hospital. I LOVE it. There is no life I would rather have.

Oh, and we are looking at houses!

I started at Lakeland Community College in Kirtland, OH. I fully intended to finish there, and then Tim applied for the state. Pickaway Correctional Institution, where Tim's dad worked for 22 years, called him and offered him the job, so we moved home...with my mom.

We had to wait for 4 months for him to start, meanwhile I started back at Columbus State, expecting to have to wait another YEAR to start than I had initially waited.

Then, one windy day there were tables set up outside at CSCC. The wind was blowing all the paper all over the place and a table that said, Chamberlain College of Nursing caught my eye. I walked over there, not consciously, almost as though I was being drawn. I spoke to the admissions lady, and expressed an interest (that I didn't even know I had). She called me later that day and we set up an appointment.

A few days later, I met with her. The school was everything I had dreamed of and more. I was in love. I was hooked. Also, I could do a work/study at Children's! So, I applied, took the HESI the next week (94%!), and was admitted a week after that.

My first semester I had a 4.0. I was confident. The first half of the second semester, I had a C, a C+, and failed a class. I retook that class and got a B. My confidence is not what it was, but it is adjusted. I'm learning. I'm working hard. I'm going to do this thing.

I started my work/study in March. I started applying for various positions, thinking it would take up to a year to get hired. I had an interview in May for Patient Transport, as well as a couple of other positions. I was hired in Transport at the end of May, and started the end of June. I LOVE IT THERE!

I have different goals now. Tim and I want to foster and adopt children, having seen abused children and the results. They often go into the state, just to be abused more. We want to help as many children as we can to not face that.

I want to be an NAS nurse (Narcotics Abstinence Syndrome), which is a specialized NICU nurse. I'm working towards that right now. I'm putting one foot in front of the other.

Kiley is having trouble focusing, and she has received referrals to an opthamologist and a neuropsychologist to figure out what is going on. I'm excited to get it figured out.

I'll try to keep up with this page. It's been therapeutic.

No comments:

Post a Comment