Tuesday, May 12, 2020

I am good enough

I have been at Netcare since October and so much has changed. I have gotten far more comfortable being a nurse and making nursing calls. I enjoy helping people withdraw, helping those experiencing psychosis, human trafficking victims, and others. I plan on staying there possibly forever, so I have really found my home.

I am going contingent after May 24. I want more experience on the Medical side of things. I want to be more well rounded. With covid, Netcare shut down to the public. We are essentially only serving people from the hospital and Mobile Crisis. I have been incredibly bored this past month, as we have had 4 clients at most during that time. 2-3 nurses. It has been torture. I have had to learn to deal with various personalities. I am learning how to be assertive when necessary in a way that is professional and kind.

I spent way too long thinking I wasn't good enough, that I wasn't competent. But I passed nursing school with flying colors. I did the thing. I passed my NCLEX with 75 questions. I AM nursing. I AM a good nurse. My coworkers tell me so all the time. I notice things; I can tell if someone has a high blood pressure because they are high or because they are nervous. I can connect with them and explain things to them so it makes sense. I have the bedside manner thing in the bag.

I am starting at Mt Carmel St Ann's the 26th as a cardiac progressive care unit nurse. Moments have passed where I didn't feel good enough, but I certainly am. Ultimately, when I remain teachable, I can do whatever I set my mind to. Looking forward to this next adventure, and it is calming to know that Michelle Obama wondered too if she was good enough.

She is and so am I.

I also thought I wouldn't be any good at this, but look at me, killing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment